Friday, January 6, 2012

BWEAKFAST


What a difference. I'm back in the country for a few days and this morning was cool, misty and quiet. As the kettle boiled, feeding had already started outside.



It looks like he's in the flowering wattle, but the wattle is not his fare. The Gang Gangs and King Parrots feed on the wattle seeds. This big bird, the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus funereus - funereus!) eats big. He's after the hardening seeds of the shrubby Banksia spinulosa, the hairpin banksia - a native to this area. I've mass planted them all around the house.




There's ruff ends left on the plant and and an excess of rejected or spilt seeds underneath. 'Waste not want not' we would have been chastened at the table. A closer look at a half eaten seed capsule shows it's not that unlike corn on the cob after all.



1 comment:

Susan Scheid said...

What a gorgeous bird! Thank you for coming by PD--not only for your interesting and insightful comment (to which I'll respond "formally" over there afore too long), but also because I was reminded of your blog, which I'd spotted at some point and somehow lost track of. I've put you now on my "good reads" list so I don't lose you again!