Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SCHLOSSING ABOUT


Schloss Nymphenburg on the outskirts of Munich is a schloss is a schloss is a schloss like a we-can-do-French kind of schloss. There is also the royal porcelain collection and a fantastic array of carriages and sleighs with all the extra horsey bits.





The present count lives in this wing, so my Ring Cycle friend-of-count-I'm-an-eye-doctor-and live-on-the-edge-of-Nymphenberg seat neighbour told me.

The gardens have a splendid parterre


but the walk through the acres of woods to the outlying pavilions was the most interesting. It a big park and a long walk, and someone was heard to say 'if I'm not careful I'll start losing weight',





discovering amongst many things a Chinoiserie retreat (that link will lead to the others), grottos, a chapel of studded shells and stones, and this modest summer house in silver and blue.



2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, my, look what I've missed while away on my own travels! This looks to be a glorious trip. Was thinking of you today, as I go to NYC tomorrow to see a performance of Uncle Vanya by the Sydney Theatre Company. Should be interesting!

wanderer said...

Should be fabulous Susan. I'll be over on Prufrocks as soon as.